Sunday, December 30, 2018

Last run of 2018???

Sunday morning -

Time to jot down some thoughts on this morning's run, perhaps the last one of 2018. Here in front of me is a blank screen, and blank canvas, to leave some words behind.

One of the main motivators to finish a run is to go home, and turn on the coffee machine, ready to percolate some hot java. Sometimes I wonder if it is healthy at all to drink coffee literally after run, considering that the caffeine will be injected and spread throughout a very fast blood stream. But so far, I do not have any jitters or obvious post effect impact on the afternoon nap or the nighttime sleep.

I switched sneakers from the last run, the Brooks GTS Adrenaline to the Blue Suede Classic Reeboks, my all time favorite pair of running sneakers. These sneakers besides being lightweight, and brutally comfortable, regardless of what distance I run.

This morning I ran 7 miles under the secrecy of the morning darkness. No cars, no pedestrians, a few bagel and donut stores already open. One of the things that surprised me when we moved to Long Island is that there are no stationary stores or newspaper stands opened early in the morning. The only store open other than the bagel stores are the 7-11 Franchise Stores. I realized early that I needed the convenience of a newspaper delivered on the driveway. To date, no one can convince me that ready a newspaper on line is better than having a hard-copy on one's hands. Yes, I know the graphics on line are better, but the ability to hold the paper in front of me and pick any story for either side equals choices, and not dictated by the width of a computer screen.

I really didn't set out to run 7 miles this morning, but when I have ample time, with not having to hurry up to go to work, or bring my daughter to the Sunday morning orchestra rehearsal, means I have a canvas of routes to choose from. And I am runner that doesn't use a clock, watch, timer, chronometer, Smart Phone, Fit Bit, or whatever gadget is in style today, so I don't care how fast or slow I am running. I run based on breathing and heartbeat, and of course, leg comfort. Of course, if I am under-dressed for the winter temperatures, I pick up the pace which results in a shorter distance jaunt.

As I run early in the morning, most Christmas lights are out, and inflatable figures are laying flat on the lawn like wrinkled skin milk.

The year 2019 is a few hours away, and I am looking forward to participating in the Long Island Winter Run Series, and get ready for the New York Road Runners NYC Half Marathon in April, which for years I didn't get in via the lottery entry process. I am still on the fence about running the Kings Park 15km the week after the NYC Half Marathon, and I need to look at the calendar to see when the St James 5 Mile race is scheduled for.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home