Friday, September 04, 2015

Tobay Sprint Triathlon - Highlights

Observations from the Sunday, August 31, 2015, Runner's Edge, Tobay Sprint Triathlon

The night before, I had all the gear packed and ready to go in the morning. I even tested the gears on the bike to make sure that I could use the smaller front chain ring. I brought with me, two tubes in case of a flat tire. I also used the bike-route description on a map, to have an idea of the streets/neighborhood that I would be riding in.

In the morning, I  had a cup of coffee with brown sugar, and two slices of  wheat bread with peanut butter and jelly. Being familiar with Oyster Bay, I arrived and parked on the street a few feet away from the park entrance. Although I was physically ready for the triathlon, my mind was shutting and affecting my psyche. It didn't help that I started on the 7th of 7 waves, with 5 minutes apart between waves. I wasn't enjoying the atmosphere at all, even though the water was so flat like a swimming pool. I  didn't enjoy being in the water when it was my turn to begin. The water smelled clammy, and the bottom of the bay was very slippery.

I wanted to stop swimming and not even complete the triathlon. I wanted to get one of the kayaks to bring me to shore. And I got more frustrated when I seeded behind a wall of slow swimmers, which is not easy to pass. I  swam breast stroke to see where I could pass the slow swimmers. Swimming breast stroke, which is my slow stroke, was as fast as the slow pokes swimming freestyle.

The T1 transition from the water to the bike corral was very distant, which in a way helped me stabilize any dormant legs. Swimming breast stroke helped to eliminate the light headness I had in my June 6th, Cedar Beach Triathlon, June 6th. I didn't expect to have any problems cycling, but I was wrong. I was holding the handlebar with sweaty hands, which I held steady as to not let go everytime I hit a bump. The handle the first hill without any problems. It was the second hill, which I will have to look up the street name. that the chain got stuck at the worst possible moment, right on the hill. Three times I got the chain loose, and three times it got stuck. It wasn't easy to get momentum on the uphill, while trying to click on the cleats, and other riders passing you. Riders that I passed earlier, only to be left in the dust. I had to walk the bike up to the top of the hill, losing valuable time. Somehow, there were many downhills thereafter, which I took advantage to jet down, and make up for some lost time.

The T2 transition was uneventful. I didn't bother putting on socks, and was willing to take a chance. The running wasn't difficult if running was the only leg I was doing, like some the relay teams I passed. There was one hill towards the Arboterum Planting Fields, in which I had to walk just to dissipate the pain in my kidney. Closer to the finish line, I decided to go for bust. That's when everything had digested, meaning, sea water and bottle water, decided to make an exit. Right as I was crossing the Finish Line. I usually have a painful looking face crossing the Finish Line, but throwing up with cameras aiming at me, was something new.

Lessons learned -

  1. The mind is powerful. 
  2. Don't swallow too much sea water next time. 
  3. Switch gears manually by lifting rear wheel. 
  4. Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning. 

Next Sprint Triathlon - Town of Hempstead, Point Lookout, September 12, 2015


Post a Comment

<< Home