Monday, November 28, 2005

The Fashion of Manners

A worrisome day
I noticed small details
so common that the absurd,
the ridiculous
became the standard
of the normal state of affairs.

I bought a token for the subway,
took off my head to salute you,
lent you a sneezed handkerchief,
avoided mannerisms to extend the wrist.
From the hunger I held, my teeth
sanded the stomach's walls.

With a bent elbow I crushed stale bread
when you had asked to share crumbs,
stuck out my tongue thinking that French kisses
were to your liking.
I opened the door for me and let go for you,
I threw the coat on the pavement to share its coldness.

I crossed a marshmallow bridge
surrounded by fairies and green elves,
I receded my pace to forcefully trip you.
I could never calibrate the fashion with manners,
nor happiness with assonant rhymes.

Original Version in Spanish

Los Modales de Moda


Un día inquieto
noté las novedades
tan comunes que lo absurdo,
lo ridículo
se había convertido en el estandarte
de la norma corriente.

Compré una ficha para el subte,
me quité la cabeza para saludarte,
te presté el pañuelo recién destornudado,
esquivé los modales al extender la muñeca.
Del hambre que tenía los dientes
lijaban las paredes del estómago.

Con el codo doblado molí polvo de pan
cuando pedías que compartiese algunas migas,
saqué la lengua al entender que besos franceses
eran de tu agrado.
Abrí la puerta para mí y después para ti,
tiré el abrigo al piso para compartir el frío.

Crucé el puente de mazapán
rodeado de hadas y duendes verdes,
cedí el paso para tropezarte con fuerza.
Nunca coincidí calibrar las modas con los modales,
ni la felicidad con las rimas asonantes.