Monday, September 07, 2015

(Training for) Brooklyn Half Marathon, October 10, 2015

(Training for) Brooklyn Half Marathon, October 10, 2015

Monday, September 7th, 2015, I woke up before the sun rays made an arrival on the horizon. I asked my mind and body, if this morning was a good time to start training for the upcoming Brooklyn Half Marathon. To date, the longest distance I have participated in an organized event was this year at the Kings Park 15 km, with hills and a cold rain, both ideal factors to keep me grounded. I tend to race like a jack rabbit, which is start fast and end up sputtering at the finish line. For whatever reason, I don't seem to have patience for "long" distance running events. I mean, I do enjoy running, but at the same time, I want to get it over and done.  This is probably embedded in my mental wiring from the swimming days when I participated in 25 meter races, and were done in less than 20 seconds.

I left the house a little after 5:00 a.m., and the streets were empty. Not even the LIRR Commuter parking lot had cars. But today being Labor Day, nobody, well almost, was laboring. I wanted to see how long I could jog using a "conversational breathing pace". In other words, pretend that I was talking to someone while I jogged without getting winded. With the current physical conditioning for triathlons, my body, at competition pace, can last about 90 minutes.
It would be interesting to establish an organized running event through the various neighborhoods that I ran this morning: Baldwin, Freeport, Uniondale, Rockville Centre and Oceanside.
The temperature in the morning was in the low 70's. As a person who sweats profusely, I had to take off my glasses. As I progressed, I surpassed the usual running distances 5 km and 10 km, and began to wonder if I was approaching anything close to a half marathon distance, 13.1 miles. I connected the different routes around the neighborhood to create one continuous loop. I  kept going, sweating so much that my orange flourescent shirt was soaked, and my sneakers were getting heavier and sloshy. I tried to keep a steady stride, maintaining proper technique and body mechanics. I was feeling a minor muscular tinge in the right knee cap area. Probable related to the worn out heel of the right sneaker.

I was very satisfied with this morning's run. I went to Google Map and traced the route I just completed, and measured 10.5 miles. Not bad, with a month to go before the Brooklyn Half Marathon on the horizon.


Post a Comment

<< Home